search
close
share
nav search

Cantonese Opera

Updated: 2016-12-01

1480574558278073681.jpg

The Cantonese Opera in Doumen District came into being in the reign of Emperor Kuang-hsu (Guangxu) of the Qing Dynasty. At that time, Qianwu Town villagers organized a team called Diao Ya Le, which was later renamed Guang Ya Tang. They practiced playing instruments and singing in the evenings along with a gong and drum cupboard. In 1914, townsman Liang Wenyan organized the Xing Shi She (Moralizing Society) and teamed with Guang Ya Tang to establish an all-male Cantonese Opera art troupe.

In the early 1940s, a Tian Lei Music Society was founded in the town and guitar, violin, dulcimer, bamboo dulcimer, saxophone, and other musical instruments were purchased. They celebrated victory in the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression with a Cantonese Opera National Jubilation. A Qianwu Entertainment Group, which was renamed Qianwu Amateurs Cantonese Opera Troupe, was founded in 1957 and its touring performances became popular with villagers.

Another amateur Cantonese Opera troupe named Long Ya Tang, which has been renamed Lishan Amateurs Cantonese Opera Troupe, was set up in 1895 in Lishan Village of Doumen District during the reign of Emperor Kuang-hsu. 


Focus

Xi's Moments
Zhuhai Now and Then (1979-2019)
Zhuhai's Top 10 News Stories for 2018
Copyright © Zhuhai Municipal Government. All rights reserved. Presented by China Daily