Latashi Fortress on Paotai Mt in the Xiawan community of Gongbei covers 3,600 sq m (nearly an acre). It comprises the Baojing Bay Rock Carvings, battlements, a watchtower, and former venue of the Gongbei Customs Land Route Drug Squad Headquarters.
Macao Vice Magistrate Ji Tai inscribed "南天柱石" (Southern Tian Zhu Stone) on the rocks there in 1845 and Qianshan Vice Magistrate Cao Guozhen inscribed "凤山锁钥" (Feng Shan Lock Key) in 1890 to stress its prime importance as a military location.
Latashi Fortress [Photo courtesy Zhuhai Daily]
The Qing (1644-1912) government built the fortress in 1841 after losing military control of Macao during the First Opium War. The Portuguese Macao government occupied the fortress in 1849 and an army led by Macao Vice Magistrate Cai Guozhen reclaimed it in 1890. It served as the Gongbei Customs Land Route Drug Squad Headquarters before the Chinese People's Liberation Army took over in 1949.
The site was named a cultural relic protection unit of Zhuhai in 1986. It now houses the 5th Detachment of the Guangdong Armed Frontier Police.
Paotai Mt Park, 60 Xiawan Road, Xiangzhou District, Zhuhai
Buses 101, Z15